Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tarun Shetty - Writer

Wow, this is my second post this week.  It's happening. I can feel it.  I'm writing again.

 If you are an old school fan of tarunshetty.com then you know that I used to write in my online blog once a week.   I've always loved to write.  Mostly because it's one of the few things I'm actually decent at or deluded myself to thinking I'm good at.  If you've read my other blog entries, you know that I was never a good "communicator" and was very shy growing up so I think I forced myself to learn how to use a pen.  I've used this skill for good -- to write motivational stuff for readers. And sometimes evil - sophomore year of high school I wrote a ten page biography on a person that was supposed to be true but was, in fact, entirely fiction.

Then slowly, I've been pulled into 1000 different projects and i lost all my free time. These past two years, I was working for a movie producer and literally spent 10-15 hours a week writing script coverage.  So naturally, when I finally did have free time,  I wanted to be as far away as possible from a  computer keyboard. (When I did try to write my thoughts, it was mostly profanity and vitriolic messages that would rival the diaries of most serial killers)

I think my true passions are coming back.  The movie, Starship Troopers was on TV and there was this great quote in it.  Johnny Rico, the lead, asks his high school teacher if he should join the academy and fight space aliens or go off to college and the teacher responds "the greatest human freedom is the ability to make our own choices" (I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something of that nature).  Johnny then joins the academy, which was a good decision because the aliens end up destroying his hometown and his family dies.

This really struck home.  Meaning, in life, we're constantly being pulled and tempted by so many different things and for some reason we feel obliged to do them.  However, EVERYONE HAS A CHOICE, which is an easy thing to forget.

The message here is if you don't want to do something, say no.  Otherwise, aliens will destroy your hometown and everyone you love will die.  The-End.

No comments:

Post a Comment